Tuesday, May 8, 2012
10 Things You Do (all of the time) When You Become a Mama
I've been thinking about Mother's Day and becoming a mom, and how much my life has transformed down to the smallest detail. Learning to be a mom has to be one of the steepest learning curves ever, and you can never really anticipate how different your life will be once you bring a baby into your world. Here are some things that stand out in my life.
1. You go to the bathroom with the door open. All of the time.
2. Learn how to do just about everything one-handed.
3. Can't read, watch, or listen to news/movies/nature programs that are remotely upsetting.
4. Speak openly about your nipples and lady parts.
5. Frequently only have one shaved leg.
6. Can discuss baby poop, barf, and spit up over dinner and not flinch once.
7. Will worry about whether or not you are doing a good job.
8. You will become liberated from many of your own insecurities, because they just aren't worth the energy anymore.
9. Really won't mind that you have to stay home with your amazing creation.
10. You will finally understand how much you can love, and how much your parents love you.
So, happy Mother's Day to all of the moms who took on the steepest learning curve ever and did the very best the could for all of us.
(photo credit by Richard Foulser)